Sunday, November 8, 2009

A new chapter begins...

After years of doubting myself and working in jobs that left me less than fulfilled, I have finally attained my dream of working in the medical field. Now, I didn't quite imagine myself working as a nurse, and though the ER seemed really interesting, I never imagined that is where I would be when dream became reality. You see, when the dream began, age 3 or 4, I wanted to be a doctor. Now I have wanted to do other things (dancer, artist, designer), but the one thing that has maintained consistent is that I wanted to be a doctor. Not just any doctor, a pediatric oncologist. I know in my heart that I'm supposed to work in oncology. I can't tell you why or explain it, but it's what I'm supposed to do. Call it my calling, call it a random hunch, or call it crazy. It is what is and I'll fulfill at least part of it in the future. Who knows, maybe I'll be on the team that cures cancer?

What I do know is that tomorrow I will enter the medical workforce. I have a week of orientation before I put on my newly purchased scrubs and walk confidently (bravado, much?) into the ER where I will finally start my nursing career. I am positively elated and am surprisingly not nervous, but I'm sure nerves may follow. What is important though is that I have started on the path of the dream of all dreams. Now, there are many layers and I'm not quite sure how they will unfold, but I'm proud of myself for not letting go of dream, even when it was just a glimmer buried behind piles of memories and mundane daily happenings. It will all come to fruition one day and when it does, whether it be a monumental breakthrough that everyone will hear about or just a job that I wake up and happily go to every day, I know my soul will be contented and my inner 3 or 4 year old will be positively delighted.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Renee! I love you and am so proud of you!

    Love Mom

    Kidding, Love Misty. But is sounded like something a mama would say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, I know my mom is young, but that would be ridiculous. :) I live to make you proud. Hope your shower went well.

    ReplyDelete