Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mikey likes it!

Yes, I just dated myself with that title.  If you don't know who Mikey is, he was a character on a tv commercial in the 1980's when I was little.  He was supposedly a picky eater who, of couse, ended up liking the cereal in the ad.  Now on to the real post.

Nola has eaten all of the following things:  apples, prunes, butternut squash, zucchini, yukon potatoes, sweet potatoes, mango, apricots, brown rice, bananas, carrots, green beans, peas, broccoli, quinoa, celery, and onions.  Oh, and oatmeal and rice cereal.  She's also had all of these spices/enhancements: cinnamon, thyme, cilantro, nutmeg, sage, ginger, lemon zest, organic vegetable broth, olive oil and garlic powder. So far, she loves absolutely everything.  I enjoy making the food too.

Last night, she had broccoli puree, which I believe I had added lemon zest too, with quinoa pilaf, which contained onions, celery, thyme, olive oil, and vegetable broth.  I actually made one batch for us and one for her.  I cut the vegetable broth in hers and did not add salt.  That child loved it! 

I am so proud of her.  She loves everything.  She hasn't snubbed anything.  After the next few days of broccoli, I have a beet and navy bean puree and spinach with green peas.  We'll see how those go.  I haven't introduced meat yet.  I know I need too, but I'd almost rather not.  I know she does need protein though. I haven't done my research yet, but I will soon.  I found a delicious recipe from Tyler Florence's book, Fresh Start, with turkey breast, cranberries, brown rice and sweet potatoes.  I will probably try that soon. 

Maybe it's a fluke and she would have eaten anything anyway, since both Aaron and I have always been good eaters, according to both our parents.  Either way, I'm glad she's tried so many things when she's only been eating solid food for about 2 months and I've been doing 3-4 days between new things.  I know, she'll go through a picky toddler stage and I'll be prepared for that, but you better believe it won't be McDonald's chicken nuggets and fries. Unless, someone sneaks that to her, she probably won't have any taste of that, hopefully until she's 18 and making her own decisions.   Even then, I hope she snubs her nose at it. 

3 comments:

  1. She's probably wishing you'd slip some rosemary in there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that McDonald's chicken nuggets consists of chicken foam?! It's the junk that foams on top when chicken is mechanically separated. You're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so disgusting! I have already planned to make her watch Food, Inc., if she starts eating that nasty stuff when she's old enough to understand. B, I think I'll make Aaron the taste tester when I do that one. Nothing like some pencil shavings. :)

    ReplyDelete