Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The verdict is...

I swear I'm not going to turn this blog into only baby things (I would lose Lea and Bridget as readers!), but I thought I would let you guys know how our appointment went today, since I know most of you have asked me to let you know.

Well, let me start by saying the doctor was beyond nice and knowing that our insurance doesn't cover infertility treatment (A big sarcastic thanks to Humana, the best insurance ever. Ugh.), she didn't charge us for Aaron's appointment, though I was the one that was poked and prodded, not him, nor did she charge us for the ultrasound I had.  She also told us that we should be tested for Cystic Fibrosis, due to Aaron's cousin's child being born with it.  The testing is $500 a piece because our insurance doesn't cover it either; however, she told us a place to go online that will test for over 100 genetic disorders via a swab you do at home.  The cost is only around $130.  How awesome is that?!  The appointment ended up costing us, just my insurance deductible, which was $300.  That's way better than we thought.  Apparently, she said our insurance would cover being diagnosed with infertility, but nothing after that.  We were there for over two hours.  We closed the place down actually.  I know the nurses were waiting for us to leave. 

Our treatment plan is not so bad either.  I'm going to be put on another round of fertility medication, a drug called Femara ($130).  I'll have to go in on day 14 of my cycle and have another ultrasound ($170) to make sure it is working.  If it is and there is a follicle, then I'll get a hormone shot ($95) and then we'll have to do what husbands and wives do best that night.  Don't think about that part though.  After that, it's the waiting game to see if it worked.  These plans may be on hold until after our vacation though.  The vacation may intervene with the timing of it all.  I know what you're thinking, "What a romantic way to conceive a child!"  Rest your pretty little heads by knowing that we'll change the story for our children's benefit.

She told me to forget about temperature charting.  She said that it is just more frustrating than helpful.  I love her for that.  I hated temperature charting.  If anyone needs a temperature chart, I created a great one in Excel.  I won't be needing it anymore. 

I also loved the doctor for explaining exactly what is going on with my hormones.  I have to change my diet.  I'm not dieting, but I have to watch my carb and sugar intake.  Plus, I need to eat every 2-3 hours and not go long periods without eating.  Yes, this will be challenging with work, but I have to get better at this.  I won't bore you with the medical facts that make me have my condition, but basically my cells don't process insulin correctly.  They are slow to process it, which means I have more in bloodstream (and no, I'm not diabetic), which in turn, effects my estrogen and testosterone production.  You're body really is amazing.  Everything goes hand in hand, so if one thing is messed it, it can completely throw off another function in the body.  As someone in the medical field, I should have realized all of this.  I would have had I thought it through, but I'm so thankful that she explained it to me.  She also mentioned only eating something like pasta once a week.  For that, I don't like her so much.  Jk.

The next step is for me to have blood work drawn, which I'm planning on doing tomorrow.  I'm watching the clock because I have to have be NPO (nothing by mouth) after midnight.  I have to be "fasting" before they can draw my blood.  You better believe that I'll be partaking in food and drink for the next hour.  Tomorrow morning should be interesting because I can't have my morning coffee. I should be lovely to be around until I can have some. Oh yeah, I was informed I need to cut back on my caffeine too.  That's fantastic! 

Aaron has to have a sperm analysis ($100).  He is mortified and does not want to do it.  Knowing I'm typing this, would kill him, so don't tell him I told you.  If you're reading this honey, our friends should know the whole story.  I kind of like that I won't be the only one having something uncomfortable done to them.

I'm excited that we have started the journey.  Hopefully, it ends after one month, at least from the fertility stand point.  That would be amazing, not to mention save a wad of cash!  Don't be alarmed when we suggest that we meet at Wendy's for dinner.  Our money will be going into the hands of the fertility gods and to our much needed vacation at the end of the month.  We can still have fun being around each other, right?  Am I reminding you of that shady ex-boyfriend that always made you buy?  Hopefully, you're buying into it.

Thanks for being supportive in all of this.  I am very grateful.  This means a lot to Aaron and I, so I know, in my heart, it will work out for us, one way or another.  Thanks for reading a week of baby blogging, now back to our rescheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment