Thursday, April 14, 2011

A nightmare of sorts

Picture this, you're driving home and suddenly the brake light, car doors/trunk light, and battery light begin to flash, so you proceed to call your husband and say, "Please stay by your phone.  My car is not acting right."  You discuss the possibility that it's your alternator again.

You hang up the phone and continue to drive, only to have all the lights on your dashboard dim and your radio go out several times.  You think, "I just need to get a little further," instead of pulling over at two well-lit gas stations. 

You come up to a major intersection, Myatt Drive and Old Hickory Blvd to be exact.  You think, if only I can get to the other side of the road where there is an emergency lane or to the shady gas station that is up on the right.  You decide to go for it, even though the car is starting to act like it doesn't have much power left.  Your car rolls forward and dies in the middle of the intersection, blocking a lane of traffic.  You have no power, so no lights, it is 10:45 and cars are still abundant on this stretch of the road.

Great little story, right?  Yeah, that happened to me coming home from work on Wednesday night.  Thankfully, three guys stopped and helped tow my car to a the shady gas station up on the right.  Had they not stopped, I have no idea what I would have done.  I mean, I went into panic mode for about one minute before I told myself to pull it together. 

I was debating, "Do I get out and stand on the side of the road at night?" or "Do I sit like a target for all these cars to hit me in the dark?"  Great options, don't you think? 

One of the guys that stopped, the one that towed my car with his truck, had worked a 13 hour day, was already late getting home, and his wife was mad at him.  He said that he passed me, but immediately turned around because he couldn't leave me sitting there.  He just happened to be a mechanic.  Now that is God having a hand in your situation.  He told the other two guys that it was okay for them to leave and he waited with me for the 20 mins or so it took for Aaron to get there.  I had no cash or anything to give him, so I just thanked him one hundred times.  I really hope that he, as  well as the other two, but especially him, get some good karma back for helping me out. 

By the way, I've only broken down twice in my Accord, which has been an amazing car, and both times it was my alternator.  The first time I broke down was on the interstate in the left lane during rush hour.  Seriously, can I get a break and have my car die in less dangerous spot, if it ever happens again!  I live for excitement and I'm all for adventure, but both times, have been a little too much for little ol' me to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment