Monday, January 4, 2010

Hello, 2010! You're going to love me!

Resolution, smezolutions. I don't do them. I never really have. It's too much pressure and we all know the statistics. They don't work. I do, however, make a lot of goals for myself. I don't necessarily do them because it's a new year. I do them because I don't want to become too content and let life pass by me. With goals, there is growth. Growth means endless possibilities. I'm once again opening up the possibilities for myself, in part, for 2010, but mostly because I will never be that person that wakes up and does the same routine from sun up until sun down every single day. That's just not who I am or who I ever will be in the future. In no particular order, my goals are below.

Goal #1: Run at least one 5K with my husband. What you should know about me is that I am not a runner, but I really want to be. I have runner's envy. What I really want my goal to be is to do a 1/2 marathon, but I know I'm not ready for all that. I can barely run a mile without having to stop and walk. Hopefully, I'll do more than one race. One is a starting point though. Start small, but shoot for the moon (1/2 Marathon 2011, what, what!).

Goal #2: Read at least 25 books this year. I got away from reading because of all the text book reading that I had to do in school. Reading and I have a very love-hate relationship as of late. We're working on coming back to what we once were. I'm off to a pretty good start too. I've almost finished reading a book I got for Christmas. It's called "A Homemade Life." If you are into a good story and cooking, you would love it. It tells the story behind each recipe that graces it's pages. It's positively delightful.

Goal #3: Be a more healthy me. I've already started switching a lot of our foods to organic. I've been reading food labels for years, but I've started paying even more attention lately. I'm also already deemed "the healthy eater" at my new job, but all of these things are not enough. My goal is to pick healthier choices for me and my family, switch even more to organics (Why are Trader Joes and Whole Foods, so far away?), and to get back into working out. I'm not putting a timeline on this, but I want to keep it in the front of my mind where it is easily accessible. I already have three weapons to help me with this goal, In Defense of Food, which helps me with goal #2 too, Biggest Loser's Boot Camp video, and a goal to run a 5K. I truly believe your body is your temple, so this should be an easy one. I deserve to be the most healthy me.

Goal #4: Expand our recycling. We have been recycling paper products and card board for most of last year, but I've been putting off expanding to other things. Let's face it. There is more work involved with recycling plastic or cans. My goal is to pick up at least one of these two this year.

Goal #5: Keep up with blogging or writing. You may not know that I used to want to be a writer. Now, I didn't really know what that meant, other than I was constantly writing stories, poems and in my journal/notebook and it made me happy. I think this blog makes me more accountable for this goal and that makes me happy.

Goal #6: Take a vacation more than once. Hey, I'm making up for this year! We didn't have a vacation at all. Well, we did go visit Aaron's parents in Florida, but I want a just-me-and-Aaron beach trip and I would love a road trip to somewhere I've never been. This could be almost anywhere because I've really only visited the states surrounding Tennessee.

Goal #7: See my family more. I've already started the Sunday dinner tradition. I want to do even more to see my family more. Time with them really is very important to me.

Goal #8: To not be so hard on myself. This is always on my list of goals. I'm lousy at keeping this goal up. I am very hard on myself. I always have been, so it's hard not to be. I've been better about this one over the last few months, so I'm hopeful that I can continue to do this.

Goal #9: To give more to others. Now, I don't mean, material things necessarily. This could be my time or advice. The possibilities are endless. My goal is to give at least once a month, whether a surprise gift, a phone call to someone I haven't talked to in a while, or paying for some one's ticket behind me in line somewhere. Touching other people will make my soul happy. It's one of the reasons that I like my job so much. I'm a very blessed person, so I'd like to share my good fortune.

This is a start. Possibly, all I can handle for one year or at least for while, but I strive to do all these things and to look for new goals that I can achieve along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment