Monday, January 25, 2010

I want to be a farmer

There, I said it. I seriously told Aaron that we need to live on a farm. I want my own organic eggs and a huge garden and possibly a cow. I don't know what is happening to me. No, it is not because I work in Dickson. I would never want to live that far away from my friends and family...or from a Target!

What brought this about, you ask? Well, I watched the movie Food, Inc. I think everyone should watch it. Food as we all know it is sometimes not food at all. I sat dumbfounded through the entire movie. It's really mind-blowing what the food industry has been allowed to get away with and at the expense of our nation's health, not to mention the health and well-being of the poor animals that we eat.

In our household, I have been making smarter decisions about our food consumption for a while now. I'm happy to report after visiting four (yes, I said four) stores we now have shelves and a refrigerator full of organic items. Now, it was not cheap. It came with a $350 price tag. We are blessed to be able to have the income to be able to afford to eat well. I realize that this is a luxury that most Americans do not have. Although, some do have the means, but choose to spend their money else where.

I want all the people I care about to be as healthy as they can possibly be, so with that being said, please watch the movie. I say this not as an animal activist, not as a vegetarian, not as a person who wants to stand on a soap box, but as a person who truly cares about other people's well being. I hope you all will be as outraged as I am and will take steps to have healthier fuel for your bodies.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen that movie, but I did once read a book titled What to Eat...and oh man, I now think twice before ordering from the seafood case at Publix. Uh...why is my fish from Thailand?!

    And about that garden-I did a tomato/bell pepper garden a few years ago. It actually worked out well, especially since I'd never tried it before. So when yours works out well I'm coming over and pickin' while you're at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you borrow it after I read it. I hope it's as good as I think it'll be. I enjoyed him on Oprah. I want his new book too!

    Don't steal from my garden. I'll let you have some! I can't wait to see my mom's garden. It will be gorgeous for sure.

    ReplyDelete