Sunday, May 30, 2010

While I'm alive and kicking

I picked up this great little leather bound notebook a few months ago at the flea market.  When I got it home, I thought, "What am I going to do with this?"  Most of my notebooks contain random websites that I'll happen across or products that I want to try or years of old grocery lists or menus that I have made or have wanted to make or movies to see, etc.  Well, leather bound seems kind of permanent. 

One day, not long after I introduced the new notebooks to my mounds of old notebooks, I realized what its use would be.  I would start a bucket list (I hate that terminology, by the way).  Anything and everything that I could think of that I wanted to accomplish while I walk the Earth, I would write in that little book. 

When you write something down or share it with friends, then I think that you have more accountability. These aren't things that I will write and forget about, but are things that I will actually do.  I think we should all have a list of these things, just to remind ourselves that it's never too late to learn or do something new and exciting, especially if life becomes monotonous.  If you don't have one, I suggest you make some time and make one.  Better yet, pick up a leather bound notebook and start to write things that pop into your head, so you don't forget them.  I honestly believe that my list will change my life. 

 Things to do while I'm alive and kicking
(in no particular order)

  1. Complete a 5k
  2. Complete a 1/2 marathon
  3. Take (another) Viking cooking class
  4. Get my master's degree
  5. Have children
  6. Grow a garden
  7. Go to Paris
  8. Take pictures at the Eiffel Tower
  9. Go to Hawaii
  10. Learn to sew and make clothing
  11. Learn to play the guitar
  12. Take a dance class
  13. Go to the Oprah Show
  14. Go on a road trip to multiple states
  15. Deep sea fish in Alaska
  16.  Ride in a hot air balloon
  17. Take a photography class
  18. Watch the sunset in Bali
  19. Cook my way through the Gourmet Cookbook
  20. Learn to speak French fluently
  21. Enter a cooking contest
  22. Own a coffee shop/cafe
  23. Scuba dive
  24. Own a home near the beach
  25. See the Aurora borealis in person
  26. Make pasta from scratch
  27.  Turn down Johnny Depp's request for my hand in marriage (wanted to see if you were still reading!)
  28. Have a drink at a pub in Ireland
  29. Set foot in all fifty states
  30. See a play on Broadway in New York
  31. Have fruit trees in my backyard
  32. Get an acupuncture treatment
  33. Hike in the Redwood National Park in California
  34. Spend the night in a tree house
  35. Make the majority of the gifts I give (at least one year)
  36. Catch lightning bugs in an old jar
  37. Meditate on a beach
  38. Renew our wedding vows on a beach surrounded by family and friends
  39. Throw a kid party for adults
  40. Have a girls only road trip
  41. Eat maple syrup covered pancakes in Vermont
  42. Have a slumber party
  43. Sunbathe naked
  44. See an artist I love in another state
  45. Learn to belly dance
  46. Play in the rain
  47. Have coffee at a cafe in Seattle
  48. Paint a picture
  49. Go on the honeymoon that we didn't get
  50. Take an overnight train ride
  51. Visit the Hot Springs in Iceland
  52. Design and cook in my dream kitchen
  53. Learn to speak Spanish
  54. Zip down a zip line
  55. Go skinny dipping
  56. Take pictures in New Zealand
  57. Sleep under the stars
  58. Have my fortune read
  59. Dress up and go see a ballet
  60. Take a picture a day for a year
  61. Keep a diary for a year
  62. Stay in a cabin in the woods for a week
  63. Be part of a block party
  64. Pay the tab of someone that I don't know
  65. Throw a surprise party
  66. Help a family in need
  67. Get a tattoo
  68. Write a book
  69. Backpack in the Grand Canyon
  70. Be a contestant on a game show
  71. Help build a house
  72. Walk around proudly in a bikini
  73. Take dinner to someone in need
  74. Host an outdoor dinner party
  75. Climb a mountain
  76. Knit something that I actually use
  77. Volunteer at hospice/a nursing home/children's hospital
  78. Be a vegetarian for a week
  79. Go on a cruise
  80. Gamble and win
  81. Walk through Central Park
  82. Win a contest
  83. Ride in a submarine
  84. Eat pizza in Italy
  85. Stay at a Bed and Breakfast
  86. Go for a mile run on the beach
  87. Bike to an unknown location and have a picnic
  88. Attend a stranger's wedding
  89. Visit a volcano
  90. Camp in my backyard
  91. Pay off my mortgage
  92. Pick fresh fruit and make a pie
  93. Have my child/children pick a destination and go there
  94. Stay on an island
  95. Spin a glob, stop it and go to that destination
  96. Become a nurse practitioner or specialized in nursing
  97. Ring in the New Year in a new place
  98. Hike the Inca Trail
  99. Spend a day without computer, television or cell phone
  100. Help someone achieve a goal off of their life list
  101. Read every book written by one author
This list is subject to change and continue to grow.  I'm sure I'll run across things that I will definitely want to do that I have not thought of before, thus my little black book.  Hopefully, I'll start marking things out soon and then adding new things in their place!  Life is too short to wait for things to happen.  We are in control of our destiny. 




No comments:

Post a Comment