Thursday, October 8, 2009

Blue light special..aisle everywhere

Today was the day of deals! It started at Goodwill. Now I've been a visitor of Goodwill for along time. Recently though, I've been going a lot. There are several reasons why.

First off, you can't beat the price. Secondly, lovely vintage finds that no one else will have. Who wants to be wearing the same thing as someone else? Also, for the sheer delight of finding (like I did today) red pleather pants, a 1980's color block sweater and a spandex tie-dyed turtle neck. I like to think that all those items could tell you one hell of a story, if they could talk, and if I purchase an item, then its story continues.

Now I don't understand why you wouldn't want to help out your community, have a one of a kind item, and spend little and get a lot. I get the germ thing to a certain extent, but that's what hand-sanitizer and washing machines are for, to get out other people's funk. Of course, I was much more of a germ-a-phobe before becoming an RN. I guess you have to get over it when you're cleaning up poop. Now I'm going to tell you my motto for fashion. You know, I love me some fashion! Never, ever rule out a place, regardless of what you think they may have or any stereotypes out there. If you don't go in, then someone else will end up looking cute in something you would have bought had you gone into the store. I go everywhere and anywhere. Go to Goodwill. I digress now.

Okay, so what did I find, you ask? Well, let's see. I got a vintage pair of black boots that rock, Jiffy Cooking cookbook from Better Homes and Gardens, circa 1967, with a lovely message from Staci to Nannie on her 81st birthday (yes, I had to buy it after reading that), an awesome plaid shirt with slightly puffed sleeves from who knows when, a perfect-fit, minus the slightly too short sleeves, black blazer that I have been looking forward to finding, so that I can wear it with a t-shirt and jeans, and a tobacco brown suede belt with a large gold buckle. Grand total, $15.10. It doesn't get much better than that, folks.

I continued my journey onto Big Lots. I won't bore you with the mundane snacks or lotion I picked up, but I will say I picked up the large bamboo bowl that I eyed about two months ago, which was marked down from $30 to $9. Shut your mouth, it's the truth! Next, I went to Ross where I walked away with a short pair of black cowboy looking boots for $9.99. I'm sure Ms. Cheap wishes we were blood-related now.

I swear, I get high off of deals. I felt euphoric in Ross. I almost couldn't concentrate. I found myself aimlessly walking around in a haze. It's pretty amazing to save that much money and to get nice things. Of course, when you have 69 pairs of shoes, how much money are you really saving? All I know is that the shopping gods were smiling on me today, and I'm not coming down for a while.

P.S. I don't want to overwhelm you, but I saved $92 at Kroger yesterday too.

No comments:

Post a Comment