Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bringing Sunday dinners back

I’ve been caught in a cloud of nostalgia lately. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve thinking a lot of the past and times with the people that I love most. Most of these memories stem around food. Maybe that’s the real reason that I love food so much. It really does bring people together.

One of the memories that I find myself thinking about frequently lately is going to my grandmother’s house for Sunday dinners. Now they weren’t always elaborate meals, but it was quality time spent with grandmother. I think that’s what Sunday dinners are about, spending time with the people that you love.

In an effort to preserve these memories and to begin new traditions that my children can reflect back on fondly, I am bringing Sunday dinners back to the O Family, and then, hopefully, to my family. Once a month, we have vowed to get together at one of our houses, alternating hosts, to enjoy a late lunch/early dinner and some quality time with each other on a Sunday afternoon. It all begins at our house on November 8.

I’m excited, not only, for the family time, but for the resurrection of a tradition that I loved so much. My heart wells up with joy every time I think of grandmother. She was an amazing woman who touched my life in a profound way. I only wish she was here to enjoy the dinners with us. I’ll have to write about her here on day. She deserves, not to be thrown in with other topics, but to be the center of attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment