Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I'm cutting myself off

From what, you may ask?  First off, let me start out by saying that I have watched more tv in the past 6 weeks than I have in the past 6 months.  Nursing school sort of did away with my love of television because I never got to watch it anyways.  Slowly, over the past two years, since nursing school (can you believe I've been an RN for 2 years?!) I've stopped watching more and more shows.  You can ask Aaron, even when I'm watching tv, I'm reading a magazine, folding laundry, clipping coupons, etc. 

Well now, with the whole breastfeeding thing, I have to fill my time with something.  I can only do so much looking on the internet, reading blogs, and playing Angry Birds and Words with Friends. So, what have I filled my time with you ask?  The answer is Cold Case Files and I've officially freaked myself out.  It's a heck of a lot better than soap operas.  I really place the blame on Oprah.  She left me with nothing to watch. 

Last week, I watched an episode of CCF and, of course, it was about a women at her sister's house cleaning with her toddler at the table eating cheerios, who was taken and murdered while the child was left there. Hmm, I'm at home alone with my child all day and this women was taken in the daytime.  Then, to make matters worse, yesterday's episode had two nurses that were taken, raped, and stabbed to death.  Nice.

I'm sure you can picture me lying in bed last night wide awake while my baby was asleep.  Yes, a perfect time for me to be asleep too, except, I swear I saw a shadow in the closet and could hear something in the front room.  Should I mention that I have two dogs that pretty much bark at anything?  Yep, they would have been barking if anyone was there, but, that's right, the second episode (yes, they play two in a row) yesterday, the victim's dog was murdered too.  It's like CCF knows how to get into my head. 

Laugh all you want, but this is the same person that used to watch horror films and then walk through a dark house and not turn a single light on and who used to read books on serial killers.  Don't think I'm weird.  I used to want to do forensics before shows like CSI even existed.  Looks like that career would have turned out splendidly with me sleeping with the light on and a weapon. 

You know, I should have known this would happen.  Aaron used to play poker on Wednesday nights and I was home by myself until 11:00 p.m. or later.  I started watching Criminal Minds..and I'm sure you know how that turned out.  I even called him one night because I got a strange prank call and I swear I saw my life pass before my eyes. 

So, I'm cutting myself off.  No more crime shows when I'm home by myself and no true crime shows at all.  I've become weak in my "old" age.  My former 20 year-old forensic loving self would just shake her head in shame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment