Wednesday, March 3, 2010

These are the days of my life

I don't write things about work here very often. You know, HIPPA and all those rules and regulations. I will say that last night in the ER we earned every cent of what we get paid. It was the busiest day to date, I think. It wasn't the usual, cough and congestion, I think I have the flu, or I've been throwing up for two hours.* Our patients were sick, really sick. We ran out of rooms after opening up our two fast-track areas, which is where we usually send the less sick people and we usually only open one of the two, which hold an extra 8 rooms. Not to mention, they made rooms out of places that weren't rooms and had people in the hallways. We actually had to call someone else in to help us. When I left around 3:30 AM, thirty minutes later than I was supposed to, we finally had a few open rooms. I actually said a prayer for my co-workers as I was driving home. I have never been so tired. When I got home, I crawled into my bed, pulled the cover of my head, and slept and slept some more.

In other news, worked on my fitness today. Aaron and I went walking around our neighborhood. It felt great! I see more of that in our future. After our walk, I made Yakisoba. It was delicious! It's definitely a repeat recipe. I have so many repeat recipes that I don't repeat them until at least a month has gone by (<---grammar error). I prefer it that way though.

Now, while the rest of the house is sleeping, I am catching up on Oprah, Hoarders, and Dr. Oz. Oh, and some magazines and updating my calendar, my fashion binder, and my decorating binder. Good grief, I am a dork. I don't deny it though.

Tomorrow holds some exciting things: a gyenecologist appointment, a Publix trip, a recycling drop-off, and a Wal-Mart trip. I know, I can hardly contain my excitment.

*Sidenote-I don't understand why people come into an emergency room after only vomiting a few times or for having a cold. There isn't much we can do besides give you fluids and some nausea medicine, that may or may not work or tell you to take over the counter cough syrup. I've probably told you at one time or another about having the flu when I was 15 years old. I vomited multiple times, had diarrhea, a fever of 104.5, and became so weak that I couldn't even walk to the bathroom, I had to crawl. I lost 12 pounds and was almost hospitalized after my mom finally took me to the doctor after a week. Now, I'm not saying wait until this point, especially if it's a child or an elderly person, but it's ridiculous to come to the emergency room after having a cough for a day or throwing up two times. Seriously. Of course, if it's associated with a lot of pain or you just feel like something is really wrong, then come in, but just know that I am way nicer than a lot of the other nurses, and even I have a hard time having sympathy for these patients. All I'm saying is that our grandparents and ancestors are saying, "Suck it up, you pansy-@ssed, spoiled brats. You're going to live."

No comments:

Post a Comment