Thursday, August 12, 2010

Vacation education

Things I learned on vacation
  • I can only handle so much of my mom's boyfriend without wanting to punch him in the face..repeatedly.  I don't think one person could be any more of negative or douchey.  I used to defend him, but those days are over. 
  • There are a lot jelly fish in the Atlantic.  My mom and I are the only ones that did not get stung out of the nine of us. 
  • I love, love my family, but I had to readjust to "living" with them.  I almost had my first panic attack in a long, long time on the very first night.  I have learned that three kids, especially boys, are very loud, a small kitchen will never work with a large family, and that personal space should be forgotten when around family.
  • I loved Tybee Island, despite getting sunburned, a rash/irritation on my face from using sunscreen, a cold sore, mosquito bites, and burn on the roof of my mouth.  I swear my body was rejecting vacation, but I ignored it and had a blast.
  • Don't believe the hype on some restaurants that are suggested to you.  Waiting in line for 40 minutes in the hot sun was not worth it for The Breakfast Club.  I know this if we ever go back.
  • Date nights on vacation are the bestest!
  • Homemade ice cream is a must at least two or three days in a row.
  • Riding our bikes everywhere was a highlight of the whole trip.  If only everything was so close, that I could ride everywhere now, I totally would.
  • Despite the statement at the top of this list, being with my family was great.  It's the first time that we've slept under the same roof, since my dad died.  When that happened, Aaron and I stayed a few days with my mom, sister, Hayden, and Billy Joe, all of whom lived in our old house.  That helped us get through that painful situation.
  • My mom looks absolutely incredible to be turning 50 at the end of this month.  I mean, I know this already, but seeing her in a bikini was jaw-dropping.  I only hope that I age that well!
  • The alphabet game, played on long drives, never gets old, no matter how old you get.
  • Being in a beach town is nice.  People are eating at restaurants with tank tops over bathing suits with wet hair and no makeup.  It doesn't take much for you to look nice!
  • Boys are so much fun, despite their loudness.  One night while Aaron and I were laying on the couch and everyone was getting ready for bed.  My three year old nephew came up right in front of my face and said, "It's not time for sleep.  I'm ready to go.  We're going on vacation."  If you all could have only seen the facial expressions and the clap and little dance with the "I'm ready to go."  Aaron and I were laughing so hard.  That kid has one of the most expressive and cool personalities of any kid I have ever met and his brother is cool beyond his years.  My brother and sister-in-law know how to raise some pretty amazing kids.  Riding bikes, swinging on swings, playing with them at the beach, and building a garage for matchbox cars will be some of my best memories when I look back on vacation.  My nephews really do help make my world a very happy place.  I feel blessed to be a part of their world and watch them grow.
  • If I pack books for the beach, I really should get them out and read them or pack more clothes or shoes in their place.
  • The ttelevision is better left off.  We barely watched it and I didn't miss it at all.
  • Packing cleaning supplies is important, especially when you arrive to a dirty beach house.  Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment