Thursday, September 2, 2010

You remind me of a this one time

I'm listening to Jango and it just played Dinosaur Jr. and The Gin Blossoms back to back.  Holy flashback, Batman!  Add this to the fact that one of the blogs I follow did a post on Troop Beverly Hills this morning and you've got me feeling nostalgic.

So, I thought I'd do a post on some of my favorite things from my childhood. I'm sure you're dying to know.  I'm curious to know other's favorites too.  Did anyone else love Troop Beverly Hills?

Things that added happiness to my little heart:
  • Troop Beverly Hills.  My bio dad used to rent movies for me when I went to his house.  I chose Troop Beverly Hills so many times.  I loved that movie.  I ended up burning a copy from the rented one, so that I would have it at all times.  Did your realize Jenny Lewis was in it?  I didn't until today.
  • The Neverending Story.  Again, I saw this a million times.  It was so sad in parts too.  I've been wanting to either buy a copy of this or rent it again.  Again, this one was a rented regular at my house.  My sister and I would have to take turns renting movies each week.  We choose this one all the time.  I think we would each just pick it for weeks.
  • Jellies.  I've said this before, but my mom bought these for me in every color she could get her hands on. I had at least 15 pairs.  I told you she inspired my love of shoes with allowing me to have so many.  The other day I was at Goodwill and saw a pair of clear ones and my heart went to fluttering.  Unfortunately, they were too big and then I came to my senses and thought, "Do you really want to wear jellies now?"  The jury is still out on that one.
  • The Torkelsons.  Please tell me that I'm not the only one that watched this show.  I loved it.  I loved Dorothy Jane Torkelson.  She was like me in a small town and wanting out.  The other night we were watching Dexter and they showed a waitress who said a couple of lines and I shouted out, "It's Dorothy Jane Torkelson!"  Aaron looked it up on IMDB and sure enough it was Dorothy Jane. He could not believe that I remembered her name or could tell it was her.  She has not aged well, then again, she is a year older than me.  She was an avid tanner. You can tell.  After that I immediately looked up the DVDs.  You can get the whole series for like $20.  I'm hoping Mr. O remembers at Christmastime that I said I wanted it.  I'm not sure if I would still love it today, but I know I was so in love with it then.  By the way, Mr. O used to watch that show with his family too.
  • Janet Jackson & Paula Abdul & Girl's Just Want to Have Fun & Ms. Cathy's Dance Studio.  All of these inspired my love of dancing.  All throughout my childhood if you asked me what I wanted to be I would say a dancer, an artist and a doctor.  That's a very well-rounded person, if you ask me, artistic and intellectual.  I would dance and dance to Janet's and Paula's music and mimic there music videos.  I think I've seen Girl's Just Want to Have Fun about 20 times.  I understood completely that Sara Jessica Parker just wanted to dance.
  • Punky Brewster.  I've talked about her before.  She was my fashion icon for a while.  I loved her spunk.  I almost bought a DVD the other day.  It was only $5.50 at Target.  I want to make my nieces fall in love with it, so that I can watch it again with them.
  • New Kids on the Block.  My first concert.  I'm not afraid to admit that.  I was so in love with Donnie.  See, loving the bad boy even then.  I had issues even at age 11.
  • My So-Called Life.  Yes, not so much of a kid when this was on,  but still so influential. I watched every episode a million times. I had them taped.  Bridget and I did a skit in Speech and Drama from one of scenes in the show.  She played Angela's mom and I played Angela.  Ah, Claire Danes, why did you leave the show?  I'm sure there would have been another season of it, especially after MTV started replaying the ABC show.  I watched it when it was on ABC for the record.  Oh, Jordan Catalano, be still my heart, even if he was an idiot who called Brian by the name Brain.
  • Snow White.  She was my favorite because she had dark hair like me.  I loved her.  One year, I can't remember if it was Christmas or my birthday, but Aaron bought me the newly released to DVD version of Snow White.  I watched it with Ava not too long ago.  She loves  it too.
  • Great White.  I know you're thinking, "What the heck?"  Well, I have the fondest memories of having the windows down with "Once, Bitten, Twice Shy" blasting and my mom, my sister and I singing it at the top of our lungs.  It still puts a smile on my face when I think of that.
  • Super Mario Brothers.  I've talked about my love of this too and the memory of my grandmother and I staying up until like 3:00 in the morning because we couldn't stop.  I miss my Granny.  I wish she was here to see me today and meet Aaron.  I still need to do a post on Eva Sue.  I wish I could find the picture of the day I got my Nintendo.  It was Christmas morning, I had permed bed-head hair, a flannel nightgown, and the biggest smile. I was so excited about it.
  • Lady in Red.  I considered this my favorite song for years.  I think my taste has gotten a little better since then.
  • Valley Girl Speech.  I spent my entire Fifth Grade year talking like a Valley girl.  I don't know why I even picked it up.  I know everything was like, "Gag me with a spoon!" or "Gag me with a credit card and charge it!"  Silly little girl.
  • Books.  There are so many that inspired me.  I loved James and the Giant Peach.  My mom ended up buying that movie for me when it came out on video.  Granted, I was a teenager, but I still loved it.  I ended up giving it to one of my cousins later on, but I wish I still had it.  I think, I may even read it again.  The Nancy Drew and Sweet Valley High books.  Wait a second, maybe the Valley twins talked like the above entry.  I don't remember.  Nancy Drew inspired my love of detectives.  I ended up adding detective to my list of things I wanted to do when I grew up.  I think the love that she inspired, inspired me to want to do Forensics in my early twenties.  I almost bought some of the books at an antique mall the other day.  The Little Engine that Could was one of my favorite stories as a child.  I still have a collection of children's books from my childhood that will belong to Baby O one day.  That story is in one of the books.  I have a book with a collection of Beatrix Potter stories, including Peter Rabbit.  My aunt gave it to me when I was one.  It's a little beat up and chewed on from one of our family dogs, but I still have it and will pass it on too.  There were so many more.  I won a reading contest in the fifth grade because we had see who could read the most books in like three or four weeks.  I read over 100.  I could still spend hours in the library.  I vividly remember sitting in front of the bookcases when I was little with books surrounding me.  I chose my books then by the pictures and the cover.  I found myself doing that again when I would pick out books with Hayden. I took him about every two weeks to the library.  I think books help shape children's imaginations.  I know, it did for me.
  • He-Man & She-Ra.  By the power of Gray Skull..I loved both of these shows. 
There are so many more things, but these are the things that came to mind.  I wouldn't mind watching, listening, reading or wearing anything above again.  In fact, I may, soon.

2 comments:

  1. I remember talking like a valley girl because Clueless came out. Memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Alicia Silverstone's new book about being Vegan? It has good information, but, oh my goodness, the way she writes and probably talks is so annoying. I think she is more like her character in Clueless, than I thought!

    ReplyDelete