Saturday, January 8, 2011

All things Nola

I know you are all dying to see what nursery plans I have up my sleeves.  Probably not, but you're going to look at it anyway.  Also, here is the collection of things that we've accumulated, so far.  Looks like little Nola won't be totally unclothed.  She'll be a little fashionista and she has no idea yet.  I'm trying to find sleepers and onesies that aren't in pink, but it's hard, peeps.  Girls can wear other colors.  I hardly ever wore pink when I was growing up.  You know, this is going to backfire on me and she's only going to love pink.  That's okay, I'll love her regardless, of course!

* The bag on the left is the purse that my mom got me for Christmas.  She is absolutely right that it can be used as a diaper bag.  It has so many pockets and compartments.  Plus, I can wear it crossways too.  The backpack in the middle is what I bought Aaron for Christmas.  It's actually a snowboarder's backpack, which means, it too has lots of pockets and compartments inside.  I'm sure this is one that we'll take to the daycare because he'll be picking her up.  The one on the right is the bag I bought months ago before I even found out I was pregnant because I thought it would make a perfect diaper bag.  It has tons of pockets and compartments too.  The funny thing is that both the bag my mom bought and the bag I bought are Franco Sarto bags.  If you like pockets and compartments, get one of these purses.  They will not disappoint.


*Most of these are bigger clothes, passed down from Miss Ava.  I absolutely love the fifth piece, which is a dress I picked up at Old Navy like two or three years ago.  It just so happens to be a 0-3 months, is red, white and blue, has matching bloomers and will make the perfect July 4th outfit.  That is, if we do anything on July 4th and I don't have to work.  Nola will be rocking it in the summer, regardless.

* Aaron and I picked up this little suit the other night at Old Navy.  She now has this and a winter coat for next winter.  Thanks Old Navy for clearancing winter items so quickly!

* Odds and ends.  Most of these I have picked up over the last few years when I have seen them on clearance.  Some are more hand-me-downs from Ava. 

*  Books, books and more books.  The books on the right were a childhood set that my brother, sister and I grew up with.  I was so happy to get them back.  My sister had them and did not take care of them.  They were in my mom's garage and were filthy!  I did my best to clean them up. 

*  The gift from Aaron's aunt and uncle.  I love this book!

So, I'm planning another collage in the baby's nursery.  This one will go over the baby bed.  It will feature some artwork that I've picked up, family pictures in bright and different sized frames, colorful cloth pieces in sewing rings (I have no idea what they are called!), and a picture in the center that is tall and vertical with hand painted stenciled letters that read:  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."  One of the best quotes from Dr. Seuss' book Oh, The Places You Will Go. I have to make this one, unless someone wants to make it for me. :)  There will also be a letter N somewhere.  It's going to be perfect.  Then, I'll quite collaging everything.    



*  Two picture frames that will go into the collage.

* Artwork that I've bought from The Black Apple on Etsy that will be framed and added to the collage.  I love her art!  I've had that top picture for a year or two.  It's called Sylvie.  Sylvie is in the running for our middle name.  I've been in love with that name forever and if we weren't calling the baby Nola, we would be calling her Sylvie.  The picture on the bottom left says, "There's more to life than books, you know but not much more."  The little girl is sitting on a stack books.  The last picture doesn't need explaining.  I mean, who wouldn't want to take a midnight ride on winged-feathered friend to deliver a love note.

*The fabric in the sewing ring thingys.  I'll use various sizes.  I find it funny that this room as a letter N and also has a painted Jenny Lind crib, which is what I want to do.  I even like the idea of yellow, if I don't go with red.

Now, I'm going to start looking around and picking up things here and there.  I can't wait to pick up some headbands with flowers, little hats and other cutesy Etsy items.  I'll have to do this slowly, since Aaron will slap the checkbook shut on me.  Of course, when he saw the little bear suit at Old Navy, he said, "That's really cute.  Let's get it."  He's coming over to my side thanks to this little baby girl!

I also have been getting some ideas from blogs, including great places to purchase baby items.  Here are some that I'm loving right now.

Under the Sycamore.  I love this blog.  If you don't follow it, you should.  Ashley Ann is super creative, has a house I would die for, and has four kids, including a baby girl that gives me baby styling ideas.  She is also an amazing photographer.

The Miller Family.  I have very similiar decorating, musical, and fashion tastes as Sharstin.  She also dresses her children exactly like I picture how my .  She throws some hell-ah good kid's parties too.  She also just had a baby girl, Nora!

Bleubird Vintage.  It seems like everyone and their mother follow this blog, so you may already.  I don't think a family can get more beautiful than this one.  I love their quirky style, plus Miss James has excellent tastes.  I've been turned on to many a sites from this blog.  She looked fantastic while pregnant too.  So, I got some good maternity ideas.  She also had a baby girl, Gemma (I adore this name too!), recently.  Looks like baby girls are taking over the world! 

Sometimes Sweet.  Danielle is an inspiration to stay fit while pregnant.  She just recently had a baby boy.  I like her style a lot too.  In fact, I think I started following it more as a fashion blog.  She also showcased some great maternity style too.  It's nice to follow first time parents as they are trying to figure it all out too.  Plus, she does Tattoo Tuesdays, which as turned me on to other great blogs and some great tattoo ideas, not that I would ever copy someone's tattoos. 

The Rockstar Diaries.  I started following this blog long before Naomi announced she was pregnant.  Her style is perfection.  What can I say, I'm drawn to vintage things and styles.  She is also quite gorgeous.  I may have a slight girl crush on her.  They also had the cutest prenancy announcement ever!

Young House Love.  This one is all about design.  They have renovated, not one, but are working on their second home.  They also are young parents and have had excellent tips and posts about things, like cloth diapers, which I think I'm going to use.  They inspire me to get to work on my own house!

5 comments:

  1. okay, 1. stop buying! 2. purse ideas are actually a great idea as I did that myself, 3. I'm lovin' your book choices "anne of Green gables collection' yay!! Don't forget this is where 'Avonlea' came from. :) 4. I do like the wall art, but don't forget I want to do something too!!! 5. have you already painted the room??? All I have to say is you are good and definitely not a procrastinator like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no way I can stop buying, if I see something cute! Also, most of it is for 12 months anyway. I've had most of that stuff for years, since the first TIMES we tried to get pregnant. I also have a few little boy things too. The collage has happened organically, just like the one in the living room. Those frames, art, etc kind of chose me. I know, you want to make me art, now you get an idea of what I'm going for. No pastels, bright colors, no baby looking things. :). The room is already painted. We painted it a few years ago when it was still the office. You can see it in the bookcase phoo, almost the same color as the last photo, which is funny too. Picture that room with a red crib and yellow, orange, green, and aqua accents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and black accents too. I forgot that one! I am no procrastinator when it comes to this. You know, I'm a planner. Next up, buying a bed and rocker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey chick! thanks for featuring my blog! i am so flattered! congrats on your little gal on the way:) can't wait to see how your nursery turns out-sounds fabulous!
    ps--I think we have heaps on common:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharstin, I love your blog. I know some of my friends/followers will too. I'll post nursery pics, when I'm done! :)

    ReplyDelete