Thursday, January 6, 2011

Goals for 2011

I can't believe that it's already that time again.  Did the past year go quickly for anyone else?  Geez.  I haven't thought long and hard about these.  They are just things that I know I need to make happen or things that I know I need to work on.  I think I did an okay job with last year's list, but I'm hoping to do better this year.  How can I not?  It's 2011!  When are we going to be flying around in cars, wasn't that soon?

Goal #1: Exercise at least two times a week.  I'm starting out small because three just seems like too much of a commitment, especially with the job I have.  This also includes getting back into shape after the baby and as quickly as I can too.  My mom said within three months she was back in her normal clothes after she had me and I say that is a good goal to have too.  Maybe I'll do a 5k too.  I really, really want to do one.  I realize I can't really exercise during the 6 weeks after the baby, so this excludes that time, but I'll make up for it afterwards!

Goal #2: Read at least 12 books this year. I think I can do this one.  It's just one book a month.  That is very doable.  I'm already about half way through the Baby Bargains book I got. 

Goal #3: Work on punctuality. You know that Aaron and I have an extreme problem with this, more so him than me.  I mean, 10 minutes is a whole lot better than 20-30 that he usually makes us.  Actually, they both are a problem.  With a baby looming the future, I am terrified that we are going to be hours late now.  Aaron agrees that this must be worked on.  I went to the dentist and meet a friend for lunch on Monday and I was early to both, but don't ask about my doctor's appointment because I may have been 14 mins late.  Whoops!  You win some and you lose some.  By the end of this year, I will be better at this.

Goal #4: Have regular date nights. My marriage is too important to me to just be consumed with all things baby.  We will still have date nights because I love them and that's part of why Aaron and I still feel kind of like newlyweds.  It keeps things fresh and exciting.  I love one on one time with him.  We each deserve each other's undivided attention on a regular basis.  Every couple needs that.  Now, if I could just get his iPhone out of his hands. :)

Goal #5: Keep up with blogging or writing. I'm keeping this one on the list.  I like keeping up the blog and want to include a baby book/journal too.  I think it's important for a child to know when they had milestones.  I know, when they have kids they may want to know when they accomplished things to compare with their own kids.  As for instance, I was 6 pounds 1 ounce.  Please baby Nola follow suit!

Goal #6: Take a vacation more than once. I'm keeping this one on the list too.  We're already planning to head down to see Aaron's parents while I'm on maternity leave and with me being on maternity leave for the whole summer, I think two trips are definitely doable, even with a newborn in tow.

Goal #7: Be the best parent I can be and to accept when things don't go perfectly.  The lack of sleep in my future scares the bejeezeus out of me.  Seriously.  I love sleep and I get so darn cranky, if I don't get enough.  I will not let this keep me from doing my best at the whole parenting thing.  I realize things aren't always going to go as planned and, as I planner, I'm going to work on just letting it go as long as no one's in harm's way and the baby's happy, who cares if the plan doesn't work out.  I'm sure this one will be hard for me at first.

Goal #8: Freeze at least 10 meals before the baby arrives.  That's right, momma O and daddy O have got to eat.  I know, I'm not going to feel like cooking, so my goal is to freeze several meals for us.  Maybe even lunch size portions for myself, so I eat with ease while I'm taking care of the baby.

Goal #9: Finish all the unfinished projects in the house and start on the new ones (the nursery, new carpet, fence and kitchen remodel).  Things have gone too far for too long on some things.  I somehow need to convince Aaron that he needs to work on his procrastination this year.  That would help me out with this one!

Goal #10: Live more in the moment.   Yes, this one will be hard too, but I know, I'm constantly thinking about the future and plans and what's going to happen.  I'm so worried about going to work after the baby is born.  That won't be until like September!  See, I have a problem.  New things have opened up at work.  Everyone please keep your fingers crossed that I get the time slot I need for me, Aaron, and the baby.  Now, back to in the moment, (do you see what happened there?) with the baby, I plan on trying to just be with the baby and not have my mind wondering.  It'll be easier, since I won't be working at that time.  I think we're all too busy thinking and worrying and we let things pass us by.  This year, I plan on letting very little slip away from me.

Goal #11:  Work on the outside of our house.  I know, I'll be huge in the Spring, but we really neglected out plants and the outside of our house last year.  We need a little curb appeal in our lives.  I plan on getting my pregnant self out there with Mr. O to plant and get things done.    We bought new paint for our shutters and still haven't done it, which technically falls under goal #9.  Maybe we can get that done too.

Looks like more than last year, but I can handle it!  If I think of anything else, I'll too the list, but I think this will keep me quite busy.

2 comments:

  1. 1.) If my former OBESE self can run freakin' marathons then your ass can run a 5k. I have complete faith in you. And stop blaming those hills already, those hills are good for you-get your heart pumpin'.

    3.) The success of this goal could possibly be the best thing to happen to the Os, especially considering how IMPATIENT I am!

    6.) Good luck with that, sista! I did good to get mine ready to go to Kroger, let alone another freakin' state!

    8.) You know I'll bring you some food! :)

    9.) Those should not be your goals, they should be Aaron's. Bless him.

    Let's do lunch soon! School starts back for my 1/13, I'm there every Tuesday/Thursday, and I have a 3 hour break between classes on Thursdays!

    Oh, and Aaron ordered girl scout cookies. You owe my money! :)

    Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do owe you money. I was trying really hard not to order cookies because those Samoas and Tagalongs are the devil! I'm sure I'll be the one eating most of them. We can definitely do lunch, so I can pay you and see you. I'll check my schedule. I work a lot of Thursdays usually, so I could meet you before or meet you on one of my days off. I'll check to see what day our staff meeting is too. I know we have one this month.

    ReplyDelete